Felony Restrictions

Felon Voting Rights

If you are convicted of a felony, or even a misdemeanor, you may play hell trying to get your voting rights restored, your success depending very much on which state that you were convicted in. Some states make it easy and even automatic to have your voting rights restored, while others put the whammy on you forever more.

States That You Do Not Want to Get Convicted In
Mississippi, along with 11 other states, permanently bar felons from voting. The rationale is that bad judgment has been displayed by these individuals, which proves them unfit to choose the leaders of this nation. Other states allow felons to vote once they have served their time.

In some states, this is automatic; in other states the former felon must apply for reinstatement of voting rights. Ten states and the District of Columbia have voting restrictions in regard to those convicted of misdemeanors.

The Disenfranchised??????
Nearly 5 million American citizens can't vote because they are barred from doing so due to their felony records. Those banned include prison inmates in 48 states; parolees, in 33 states; probationers in 29 states, as well as those who are off of parole and otherwise considered free citizens. Thirteen percent of African American men in this country are unable to vote due to felony convictions.

Civil War
If you are under the impression that the United State's original plan was to refuse felons the right to vote, think again. In 1800, felons could vote in all of the states; however, that changed right before the Civil War when a majority of states, amounting to 80 percent, blocked felons from voting, the rationale behind this was to bar African Africans, who were disproportionately represented among those convicted of felonies, from voting.

Hot Issues
There are two hot issues at hand: Allowing ex-felons to vote and allowing those who are incarcerated to vote. A reasonable argument against not allowing incarcerated felons to vote is that they have temporarily forfeited a variety of rights, one of them being the right to vote.

Extending, Rather than Restricting, the Vote
On the other hand, extending rights to many, rather to a few, has been the American way. The vote was extended to women in 1920; to non-whites in 1870; to those unwilling or unable to pay a poll tax in 1964 and to those over the age of 18 in 1971.

Of course, people of color and women should never have been excluded in the first place. They did not break the law. Their only "violation" being that they were born non-white or female. These non-whites and females were not, necessarily, living on the taxpayers' dole, as are prisoners. The exclusion of non-whites and women from voting was not based on crimes being committed but on a patriarchal as well as misogynist and racist system.

14th Amendment
The 14th Amendment allows states to deny the vote if an individual is found guilty of "participation in rebellion or another crime." And it can surely be argued that prisoners should not be allowed to vote based on this amendment. However, it's another story altogether when it comes to ex-felons who have done their time, paid for their crime.

See also:

Pages:   <<  1  >  More
I have a felony conviction of assult with a firearm but am very interested in joining any branch of military is their any way this can happen

Like this comment? [yes] [no]   (Score: 0 yes, 1 no)
Permanent Link
Sunday, September 1, 2013

I just plead no contest to possession for sales of cocaine what are my chances of getting a waiver? email me back if anyone has any idea any advice is much needed

Like this comment? [yes] [no]   (Score: 1 yes, 1 no)
Permanent Link
Lincoln Cox
Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I had the bright idea to marry a exotic dancer!! who every time i tried to leave would call the police and say he pushed me he treatned me!! when all i wanted was to leave!!called the police when i wouldnt go to the mall to buy her fancy makeup!!! as the police and dallas da office proudly convicted me!!! on false allegations and my x-wife has admitted to lying and ruing my life forever!!!!!!!!! and has done the same to 2 other men!!!!! and gets away with it!!!!!!!how do i get this expunged away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like this comment? [yes] [no]   (Score: 1 yes, 0 no)
Permanent Link
Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I live with the same thing. I try to leave or go in another room and she follows me.Even in the car. I was convicted for allegedly "spitting" in her face which was a lie and without physical evidence. My protest got me another false charge of agg. battery to a bitch cop. I had to plead guilty. I have a record. tried to give me 6 to 30!!!

Like this comment? [yes] [no]   (Score: 0 yes, 0 no)
vic ajazi
Thursday, February 7, 2013


Like this comment? [yes] [no]   (Score: 0 yes, 0 no)
Permanent Link
troy shiver
Monday, December 17, 2012

I was wondering how hard it would be for me to get a waiver with a felony conviction for accessory to criminal mischief? I am 25 and have been off probation since March of 2010. I never served any time in jail as this was my only criminal act as a juvenile or adult.

Like this comment? [yes] [no]   (Score: 1 yes, 0 no)
Permanent Link
Larisa Dutcher
Thursday, November 22, 2012

Is it possible for me to get a waiver from the air force? I have been to two recruiters and they deny me because of a Misdemeanor that I have for resisting arrest. Is there anything else I can do? What are my options?

Like this comment? [yes] [no]   (Score: 0 yes, 0 no)
Permanent Link
Tuesday, November 20, 2012

My father and my ex-husband were in the Military. I am a military brat. I loved the military because of the opportunities it affords you. My son went to the University of Texas on a football scholarship. He was a Texas Longhorn. He got in with the wrong crowd of people and got in to trouble, served two years on felony charges and has been off of probation for over a year. He is only 24 and needs a breakthrough. He didn't realize in his teens that this kind of record would damage so much in trying to get back in life again, nor did I. It is almost a design to put young men back to crime. They can hardly get jobs, apartments, in school or anything forever it seems. How much punishment can one receive for a mistake as a kid. Please help me to help him to get in a career in the military. He is a young man worth saving. Thank you for any considerations.

Like this comment? [yes] [no]   (Score: 0 yes, 0 no)
Permanent Link
Vickie Henry-Wright
Monday, October 29, 2012

hi i just read that the army and the marines are possible i know how you feel my son is going to be 23 and he has 3 drug felonies my heart and prayers are with you he was on work relase did 2 monthes in jail and went to drug treatment we lived in wa. state and it was his first offense my heart breaks for him. for a bad decision it is not easy please feel free to contact me anytime go with GOD speed

Like this comment? [yes] [no]   (Score: 0 yes, 0 no)
Tuesday, March 5, 2013

In 1977 I was arersted in California for resisting arrest but the charges were upgraded to assult. I had a trail by Judge. He found me guilty and sentenced me to service two years in prison however,because I had never been in trouble before he reduced the sentence and gave me two years probation. While on probation I received a wavier from the court to join the Army. I service 20 years in the service and currently work for the federal government. This incident is my only run in with the law over 54 years. So my question is why can I vote but not sit on a jury?

Like this comment? [yes] [no]   (Score: 1 yes, 0 no)
Permanent Link
Michael D. Little
Tuesday, September 11, 2012

My son was convicted of a felony in Texas. He has served his time, is currently on probation and is paying his fine. He has moved to Florida, probation was transferred to Florida. Texas automatically restores voting rights, Florida disqualifies him for a drug crime from restoring his rights. If his rights are restored in Texas when he completes probation, can he vote in any State he moves to from that point on.

Like this comment? [yes] [no]   (Score: 0 yes, 0 no)
Permanent Link
Sunday, June 17, 2012

Can I join the army if I have a bringing a controled substance into a prison conviction, and probation expired?

Like this comment? [yes] [no]   (Score: 1 yes, 1 no)
Permanent Link
Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pages:   <<  1  >  More